Re: Unable to find the Ncurses libraries

At 02:49 PM 02/26/02 -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>b) apt-get install libncurses-dev
>
>Debian splits the headers into -dev (development) packages because most users
>do not need them.  This cuts down on downloads and on disk usage.

As someone that used to build everything from source, I've now been stung
by that enough times with debian pacakages I should know better.  I just
had to deal with this with libxml2 a few minutes before this problem with
ncurses.  Should be package "libxml2-lite" ;)  I guess I'd expected a
package to be the "./configure && make install" for building from source.
But I can see not every one is compiling programs.

But this ncurses one got me -- maybe I don't understand linking (which is
clear  I don't).  I would have thought it would have died before calling ld
(for lack of header files).

moseley@bumby:~$ locate libncurses.so
/lib/libncurses.so.5
/lib/libncurses.so.5.2

# apt-get install libncurses5-dev

moseley@bumby:~$ locate libncurses.so
/lib/libncurses.so.5
/lib/libncurses.so.5.2
/usr/lib/libncurses.so -> /lib/libncurses.so.5

So, how are

  /lib/libncurses.so.5
  /lib/libncurses.so.5.2

useful without the symlink?  Are binaries looking specifically for
/lib/libncureses.so.5?

Oh well.  Just another detour off the debian main road.

>c) look into auto-apt (just because I like to mention the package)

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org