Ah, this is a known bug: #54214

My apologies for being oblivious to the Debian site's bug tracking
resource.  It turns out a Mr. Billson turned this one in in January
2000.  Wah!

So the trick to my problem is that something called "wordlist" is needed
for the cracklib-runtime install to work, and apparently there is no
strong dependency for it defined inside the .deb file to designate this.

Therefore an appropriate admonition at this point is to make sure
wenglish, or other users of "wordlist" are installed before installing
cracklib-runtime, otherwise you'll get a broken cracklib-runtime, at
least on Potato.

Sincerely, Xeno

--
http://www.eskimo.com/~xeno