Re: why boot using floppy is very slow?

on Mon, Feb 25, 2002, debianlist (debianlist@hotmail.com) wrote:
>     I boot my DEbian 2.2R4 using floppy,but the process is very
>     slow..at least much slower than other linux distr...how can i
>     improve the speed based on boot by floopy...(there is no hardware
>     problem) i have a 2.2r4 boot floppy,,can i boot 2.2r5?

What type of boot floppies are you comparing?

There are several distinct types of boot floppy:

  - A LILO MBR on floppy pointing to a kernel and root partition on hard
    disk.  This will boot nearly as fast as an HR LILO configuration.
    Other boot methods may be used, e.g.:  syslinux, LOADLIN.EXE.

  - A kernel image.  This loads a kernel image from floppy but (usually)
    mounts a hard drive.

  - A rescue disk, usually with a kernel and/or minimal root filesystem,
    e.g.:  Tom's Root Boot.

Floppy access is *slow*.  If you're reading significant data from disk,
be prepared to wait  20 seconds to a minute.  My boot kernel is 578 KiB
on disk, about 40% the capacity of a floppy, a good chunk of data.

Peace.