Re: NTFS Mount

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 05:05:50PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Putting umask=0222 as the options for my NTFS mount finally permitted me as a
> normal user to access my ntfs mount. GREAT.  Now, 222 is write permissions
> across the board.  But I notice that the owner for all files & directories is
> root (user and group).  But permissions are really read only.  Is there a way
> to make it possible to have read/write permissions to the ntfs partition?
> Would 666 work?

Unless the NTFS driver has changed since I last checked, you don't want
write permissions.  The read support module is the only one that is
non-experimental in the kernel (in fact the write support is so unstable
is labelled 'DANGEROUS' in menuconfig).  I'm guessing that you have the
normal (read-only) module loaded, so you can't write if you wanted to,
and trust me you don't.  I've heard of people simply mounting and
umounting their partition with write support loaded and completely
corrupting it without even writing to the partition at all.

If you need to transfer files from your linux partition to your NTFS
partition, I suggest using Explore2fs (if you're using ext2 or 3):
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

-Rob