Re: hardware quote comments?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:58:59PM -0800, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 12:21:33PM -0700, Jason Majors wrote:
> > Also, I'd recommend a 40GB or so IBM ATAPI hard drive instead of the
> SCSI
> > option. It'll cost you less and provide about the same access speed.
> Maybe
> > even faster access, if you get a 60 or 80 GB drive. Just make sure
> it's a
> > 7200RPM drive.
> No way!  Those drives are very much worth the money.  How can you
> compare a 7200 RPM IDE disk to a 10k RPM SCSI disk?  IDE is cheap for a
> reason.  It's junk.  Don't put junk in such a nice machine!

    There are several reasons that IDE is cheaper that SCSI:

    (1) Buffer sizes--I haven't seen any IDE drives have 2 MB or less,
        while comparable SCSI drives have 4 MB
    (2) Seek times--usually twice as high on IDE.
    (3) Rotational speed--usually higer on the more expensive drives.
    (4) Warranty period--IDE drives usually have a 1 year warranty,
        while SCSI tends to be 3 years.

     Now, look at the cost deltas. For what it costs to get a SCSI
     drive, I can usually get 2 larger IDE drives. With software
     mirroring, I can get at least as good a read performance, with
     write performance suffering only a little (if at all).

     And I've got a mirror for when I loose one.

     It's not about which technology is better--SCSI is clearly a better
     technology (we'll see what serial ATA brings), it's about which is
     more cost effective. I have several systems in my colo which have
     300-500 GiB of storage in them, some of which (the 300 GiB systems)
     would have been inordinately expensive to do with SCSI (4 73 GiB
     scsi drives==Lotsabucks), and the larger (490GiB) systems would
     have been all but impossible--these are 5 drive 2u rack systems.

     I wish SCSI were 1/2 the price, then it would be easier to justify,
     but with the current price points, it's often cheaper to build 2
     complete systems off of IDE than 2 out of SCSI.

--
Share and Enjoy.