Broken /proc?

Last week I did an 'apt-get update' of a debain unstable and now I've
noticed that my /proc fs  is broke.

It appears to be mounted correctly and all the entries show up if you
do a 'ls' but if you actually try to look at an entry its just blank.

Fex:

# cat /proc/interrupts
#

That's it no output no error.

I was running a 2.4.13 kernel at the time and everything was working.
Last night I upgraded to .17 and it still does the same thing.
System runs fine otherwise just anything that has to do with /proc
either blocks or throws an error.

I have another system running a hybrid testing/unstable and 2.4.16
and it works fine.

I've checked and all the versions of stuff listed in
Documentation/Changes and they meet or exceed whats required.

Yes.. /proc is enabled in the kernel.  At least it shows to be.

Any ideas? I realize that this is more of a kernel thing than a
Debian thing but it seems very suspect that it appears to have broke
after an update.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@bitworks.com               501.846.5777 x204