NTFS partition access

I am currently having problems figuring out how to gain access to my NTFS
partition.  If I log on as root there are no problems.  I also figured out
that if change the ownership of my NTFS mount (i.e., /win) to myself, then I
am able to mount the partition logged on as myself (prior to that I had to be
root in order to mount it).

I have made several changes to my fstab file, but nonetheless, when logged on
as myself I do not have any access to the NTFS mount (i.e., error message is:
"Permission denied").

currently the entry for this mount in my fstab reads:

/dev/hda1       /win        ntfs    defaults,user           0       0

I have tried under options to change it to "defaults" and to "ro,user" but
still no change.  I have tried changing permissions to /win, but no luck.

Any ideas?