Re: xlib updating problem

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> (CCing to debian-user in case someone has comments/corrections.)
>
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Charles Blair wrote:
>
> >   Thanks for your help.  I have version 2.2 (potato, I think).
> > I am trying to upgrade to Tk8.3, which needs a newer xlibs.
> > I downloaded an xlibs(numbers).deb package.  Is it sufficient
> > to type
> >
> >  apt-get xlibs
>
> You never download .deb packages for installation. That is in the
> Redhat/rpm spirit, and is an inferior way of doing things. Debian is
> better. You always do "apt-get package_name". This will fetch the package
> off the net for you, resolve dependencies, and you can easily resume
> downloading if the connection fails.
>
> You have two options.
>
> 1) Type
>
> apt-get tk8.3
>
> This will insist on upgrading a large part of your system. In that case
> you might as well upgrade to Woody.
>
> 2) Compile the tcl8.3/tk8.3 debs by hand.

Sorry, I just realised what I wrote is nonsense in one important respect.
I forget that build dependencies are not listed in

apt-cache show tcl8.3

etc. This is what I get for being in a hurry.

It seems, for example, that you will need debhelper (>=2.0) installed to
compile tcl8.3. Make sure you have this

apt-get install debhelper

In theory, the version in stable (2.0.86) should be enough.

To compile tk8.3 you will need tcl8.3-dev. So you will need to compile
this as well. Fortunately this doesn't have any build-dependencies aside
from debhelper (>=2.0) so you stand a fighting chance of getting it to
work. tk8.3 also need xlibs-dev, and the closest you have to this in
stable is xlib6g-dev so make sure you have this installed too.

apt-get install xlib6g-dev

Let me know how it goes. It is not as bad as it looks, but you can see why
people prefer to upgrade to testing!

                               Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.