RE: Newbie install help

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Stephano Mariani wrote:

> I have access to a computer with a fast net connection (DSL 2Mbit),
> would it be possible for me to download and burn these CDs rather than
> buying them? If so, could you please tell me where I could get them?

Actually, an even better way would be to take your computer to where you
have a fast net connection, and try to install it over the net. This
(I think) requires only floppies. See
http://www.debian.org/distrib/floppyinst

You'll want to substitute the word woody or testing for stable in
/dists/stable/main/disks-XXXX/. See also instructions in
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/install.en.html#contents

Disclaimer: I've never tried doing a floppy-only installation. I have some
potato CDs and I usually use those and upgrade to woody as soon as I have
a working net connection.

You'll need an ethernet card for this, and you'll need to find out which
driver is needed for the card, because Debian isn't terribly helpful about
telling you those things.

                                                        Faheem.