Re: is openssh version (in potato) 1.2.3-9.4 vulnerable?

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:39:02AM -0500, Walter Tautz wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Paul Hampson wrote:

> > > The new version of Nessus (in testing) is complaining about this too.

> > > I think, from looking at the bug reports etc., that in potato the
> > > offending versions of ssh and openssh have been patched so that,
> > > although your version number indicates that you have a problem, the
> > > truth is that you're safe. All of this is, of course, dependent on
> > > you being up to date with security.debian.org updates.

> > > Can someone confirm this please...

> > Yup, ssh in potato has been patched against the known vulnerabilities
> > in that version of OpenSSH.

> > The version of ssh in sid (and presumably woody) reports
> > its Debian package version as well, so that tools such as Nessus
> > can tell it from the vanilla OpenSSH.

> > If you're curious, this extension was thoroughly debated in
> > debian-devel a fortnight ago or so. :-)

> When you refer to `extension' what do you mean?
The version of ssh in sid (and presumably woody) reports
its Debian package version as well, so that tools such as Nessus
can tell it from the vanilla OpenSSH.

> Also where would I look
> for bug reports for this kind of info? bugs.debian.org?

Which kind of info?
I suspect the answer to either is
/usr/share/doc/ssh/changelog.Debian.gz

And bugs.debian.org if it's a live or recently live
issue. But in this case it's not.

> ps. thanks for confirming the security but I wouldn't
> mind confirming it for myself.
http://security.debian.org would also let you see the various
fixes made to the ssh package...
Alternatively, ask on
debian-security@lists.debian.org

In fact, I whacked '945216 Debian' into goolge, and the
first link was the Debian Vendor Statement at CERT about
VU#945216, which pointed me to DSA-027-1

Of course, the changelog doesn't call it the CRC-32
compensator attack, nor reference the CERT VU#.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.