Re: I/O error over NFS

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:13:40PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
|     Hey people.
|
|     At work currently, I'm mounting my home directory over NFS. Today I tried
| to tar up a directory, and a single file produced a complaint of "cannot stat:
| I/O Error". I logged into an HP-UX box mounting my same home directory and did
| the same thing there. No problem. Apparently it's just with Linux.
|
|     Any ideas? I can't ls the file, or access it in any way, since stat()
| fails.

Probably the server went down, then back up, while you had the export
mounted or some other process removed the directory on you.  In either
case it is a stale handle.  Simply remount the directory or kill
whatever process may be using a file in the directory, or "cd ~ ; cd
<where you used to be>" to refresh it.

I saw a thing like this at school once.  It turned out, in that case,
that a process on a windows client had a file open while trying to
delete it from the linux box.

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."