Re: Diagnosing poor performance

> My laptop has a 4MB vid card, 64 MB RAM, 120MB swap and a Pii 400
> celeron processor.

> I'm running enlightenment with konqueror for file management, galeon for
> web and evolution for mail.

> Performance is appalling.  Konqueror takes 13 seconds to launch.  Galeon
> takes 10 seconds.  Evolution takes 15 seconds. Even Eterm takes over 10
> seconds. Switching between apps takes forever and involves screens
> freezing.

You don't have enough memory, in part because you're running an app that
needs almost all the KDE libraries (konqueror) and an app that needs
almost all the Gnome libraries (Evolution) along with a bloated window
manager that doesn't share that much code with either.  The startup times
seem slow, but are you starting them all at the same time or in series?
Hard to believe that 64M isn't a lot of memory, but for this choice of
apps it isn't.