really stuffed up news system!!!!!!!

Hi,

Now I have really stuffed up my news system. :(

Iniatially my potatoe box had the dialup utilities selected by
tasksel all installed.  But there seemed to be no news reader.

1.   I then looked to installing a suitable offline news reader.
2.   I thought that slrn would do the job
3.   I ignored advice to use leafnode and installed slrnpull because
     the documentation claimed it was simpler for small installation
4.   Things were not looking good from many aspects so..
5.   When I noticed that fetchmail was running and that this was part
     of the leafnode setup i used dselect and removed them.
6.   When things still did not function correctly I removed slrn and
     slrnpull and reinstalled them (years of M$ conditioning asserting
     itself there)
7.   Now it still does not function correctly and in addition we have
     other problems - to whit

It wants rnews, and this is nowhere to be found on the machine
except in /usr/lib/ , nor can I find it in dselect.

The main problem before stuffing it all up was that invoking slrn
brought up a host of messages that it could not create directories
like /var/spool/slrnpull/news/my/news/group thus anything downloaded
seemed to evaporate into thin air and was not to be found under
/var/spool

What I first need to do is to ensure that I have everything on board
that I should have, and I suppose that means rnews.

Running tasksel again merely tells me that I have the latest version
of the dialup package installed, so it isn't going to fill in the
blanks. I don't want to remove the dialup package and start again as
that would break the email connection.

Can somebody please hold my hand and lead me down the yellow brick
road please?

On-list please.

:)

--