Re: PPPoverEthernet vs. PPPoverATM

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 08:56:55AM +0100, linux_abbestia@virgilio.it wrote:
> I'm about to turn to ADSL connection to Internet and I'm taking in consideration
> all the choises the Provider offer. I was surprised in seening they offer
> an ADSL service not only using the PPP-over-Eth protocol, but also with
> the PPP-over-ATM. So my question is: if I choose the second system, is debian
> support it? what is the best configuration (I think I will use the following
> hardware: ADSL modem + Cisco 25xx router through Ethernet cable connection)?
> Thanx in advance!

First of all, check what modems your provider recommends and try to use one
of them.
There are modems that are able to talk to your provider with pppoa and to
you with pppoe.
There are modems that have a built in router and do all that
stuff alone, you just have to configure your private network, and some have a
dhcp server and you just have to configure dhcp client.
I may be wrong but I don't know any program to make Linux use pppoa.

Carlos

--