Re: Re: Minicom problem

Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Paolo Falcone wrote:
>
>> I tried adding my user account to group uucp, and it somehow solved it.
>
>Wow, that's hella-counter-intuitive.  Is this a bug?  (Though my gut
>feeling says if I need to ask, it probably is)

Not a bug nor counter-intuitive, actually :)

If you'll check the properties of minicom via ls -l, you'll notice that
minicom is owned by user root and group uucp. I forgot what reason this is
so (is minicom using UUCP instead of standard TCP/IP? I think so...)

You can circumvent adding your account to the group uucp by changing the perms
of /dev/ttyS1 to 666, but that's counter to the Debian policy (as well as it
gives R/W access to the ttyS1 device to all users...). So stick with the
group scheme that Debian implements.

  -->paolo

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com