Panick after Potato -> Testing upgrade

Dear List - I set out to upgrade to testing just tonight. As previously
suggested on this list, I updated my /etc/apt/sources and did:

  apt-get install dpkg
  apt-get install apt

Which upgraded about half the packages on my system. At first (after
holding my breath quite long) things seemed all right. Now I am
experiencing, what appear to be, access problems.
I cannot connect to my imap server, amanda cannot connect to my backup
clients.
In /var/log/syslog I see entries like:

  Feb 21 01:06:30 souterrain inetd[3638]: getpwnam: root: No such user
  Feb 21 00:45:02 souterrain inetd[159]: /usr/sbin/tcpd: exit status 0x1
  Feb 21 00:45:02 souterrain inetd[1240]: getpwnam: backup: No such user

I am pretty sure these were not there before my upgrade. I have looked
in the list-archive for thingd 'getpwnam' related, but did not find
anything useful.

I really hope some kind soul on the list can point me in the right
direction...

Thanks a lot!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>