Re: eth0

High,

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Vaughan, Curtis wrote:

> How do you configure, in this case eth0 to be DHCP dependent: i.e., how do I
> make it seek an IP during a boot?
> Likewise, how do I configure it for a permanent static IP?

if it is assigned in a local network to your MAC address, al line like

ifase eth0 inet dhcp

to /etc/network/interfaces

and statically:

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        gateway 192.168.1.3

You can get it up and down with 'ifup eth0' and 'ifdown eth0'.

However, if your ip is assigned dynamically through a dhcp server (like
cable modems, for example), you should also install dhcpcd (apt-get
install dhcpcd).

Greetz,
Sebastiaan