Re: OT: Web Standards

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:

> After all, html is only a *markup* language. Yes, stylesheets allow you
> to specify most things in pixels, but stylesheets can be disabled by the
> user. Treat them as *hints*. If your content *depends* on a stylesheet,
> then you're abusing stylesheets.  Booh. Hiss.

Setting things in pixels is considered harmful; it won't render right on
different resolutions or window sizes.  Use percentages instead.

> But making it look *sensible* in all browsers is not difficult at all.
> Stick to the standard stuff that W3C knows about. If you write to the
> standard, then all (compliant) browsers will render it in a sensible
> way.  Who cares if there's an extra 2 pixels around the edges? People
> will be interested in *the content*, won't they?

Exactly.

> Hm. Least common denominator does not necessarily imply "not suitable
> for PHBs". I firmly believe content is king.

This point can be driven home to PHBs with some effort, this is a
considerably more worthwhile and boudlessly more fruitful effort than
getting absolute control over the way a web page renders, to give you an
idea how futile the control aspect really is.

--
Baloo