Re: OT: Web Standards

begin  Dave Sherohman  quotation:

> IMO, the majority of the web's current problems are the direct result
> of "web designers" and graphic artists deciding that they must have
> complete control over every detail of how their HTML pages appear to
> the end user, rather than allowing the user to tell his browser how
> he wants things.  This leads to such monstrosities as pages which put
> bright yellow text on a white background (or other such invisible
> combinations) if you turn off loading of background images, text
> presented in Flyspeck 3pt if you don't have the right font installed,
> and, perhaps worst of all, sites that abandon HREF tags in favor of
> javascript event handlers that are functionally identical, aside from
> breaking if javascript is disabled.

And I've also seen cases where blocks of text are put into an image,
which, of course, is completely unreadable if your monitor runs at a
significantly higher resolution than the designer had in mind.

The fundamental problem here is graphic designers treating the web as
if it were a magazine page, which it is not and was never meant to be.
These people do not understand the environment in which they work, and
consequently cannot help but produce unusable sites.

Craig