Re: Less and .gz files

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 15:08, Sebastiaan wrote:
> High,
>
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On my earlier SuSE system "less" was able to read gzipped text files. Can i
> > get less to do it also on Debian?

It uses LESSPIPE...

>From the manual page... 'man lesspipe'

       lessfile  and  lesspipe  are  programs that can be used to
       modify the way the contents of a  file  are  displayed  in
       less.  What this means is that less can automatically open
       up tar files, uncompress gzipped files, and  even  display
       something reasonable for graphics files.

--
Mark Janssen     Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @
SyConOS IT