Re: Few Simple Question

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 07:29, Francis Pineda wrote:
> Greetings Debian Community!
>
> I am currently a computer networking student researching different flavours
> of Unix/Linux.  From the advice of my instructor, I have shosen to research
> Debian.  He says it's, "Really Cool"  I find it very appealing and hope to
> install it as soon as my system is set up.
>
> I have a few specific questions I'd like to ask.  The information on your
> webpage and FAQ is simply so immense, a simple site search is a bit
> confusing.
>
> 1. What is the user base targeted?  Is it simply geared towards the
> home-user looking for a free OS?  Or is it geared more towards the
> power-user?

Well there are a lot of different minds concerning this. In my opinion, it is
perfectly useable as a home-OS, once configured. But it's true that the first
time I installed a Debian I had some problem with getting network and this
kind of stuff. However, if you want KDE and this kind of packages, you have
to use them in testing, or even unstable, and this can be more a "power-user"
thing - even if docs and other users are there.

> 2. Where is Debian located?  I understand there are over 800 distrubuters
> nationwide that communicate via e-mail and message boards.  But is there a
> specific "home" to debian?

hmmm... http://www.debian.org ? :o)
there you can have docs, a list of mirrors, access to ML...

> 3. What is the latest Kernel version?

The latest kernel version in general is 2.4.
The kernel used in last stable release (aka potato r5) is 2.2.19.
The kernels provided in testing/instable are 2.2.20 and 2.4.16.
But it's really easy to recompile one if you don't want those ;o)

> 4. What is the default desktop?  and what others are included?

There is no 'default desktop'. In stable you can use Gnome, and classic WM
like fvwm, enlightenment, blackbox, windowmaker..... If you run testing or
unstable, you can also have KDE.

> 5. What, if any, office suites are included?

I'm not sure there is an office suite included. Well there is KOffice in
testing/unstable... doesn't work that well however in my opinion. I use LaTeX
for text processing, gnumeric for "excel-like" stuff and prosper for
presentations ;-)

> Thank You very much and I look forward to joining the wonderful world of
> open source OS!

Hope I have partially answered your questions ;o)

> Francis Pineda
> Phoenix, AZ

Isabelle HURBAIN