From: dman [mailto:dman@dman.ddts.net] On Behalf Of dman
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 6:15 PM
To: 'debian'
Subject: Re: strange vi

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:39:08PM +1030, Tom Cook wrote:
| justin cunningham wrote:
| >
| > Hi, I've s-l-o-w-l-y been building a woody machine in spare time and
| > noticed that I can't use the arrow keys to get around in vi.  Is
this
| > because the keyboard is misconfiged?   I think I remember choosing
the
| > default us qwerty as ok but I'm sshed into the machine from my
laptop
| > and the arrow keys don't work.  Though they work at the console.  My
| > laptops arrow keys work via ssh on lots of potato machines so, what
| > gives?   Regards, justin
|
| Can't help except to say that 'j' is up, 'k' is down, 'h' is left and
| 'l' is right.  That makes sense, doesn't it? ;-)

It does once you put your hand on home row and see where the keys are
(and forget about the screen printing on them).

As for the arrow keys not working, which "vi" do you have?  Surely it
isn't 'vi' since that is copyright and only Sun systems have it.  In
vim, I have the following set :

set esckeys         " allow cursor keys in insert mode

The arrow keys work, but I never use them anyways.

HTH,
-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be