Re: Installation from base image -- configuration required?

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:27:34PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > The question (I *said* there was a question) -- what particular steps
> > are required for configuring a base Debian installation.  Best I can
> > The option of slapping a base image onto a partitioned disk and
> > installing it by hand seems almost preferable (and in some cases,
> > unavoidable).  The Debian installer itself is dbootstrap, but doesn's
> > appear to be readily available outside the installation system itself --
> > I couldn't find it lurking elsewhere in Debian, or pull anything called
> > 'dbootstrap' from any of the install disks at my disposal.  Or am I
> > missing something obvious?
>
> It's in the boot-floppies source package, but it is not designed to work
> outside of the boot floppies environment (although I've done it, on a
> running system even).
>
> You can use debootstrap (note the 'e') to build a debian system in a
> chroot, from any linux system that has a posix shell, wget, and a few
> other basic tools (all in busybox) available.

Somehow, debootstrap does not set up /etc/apt/sources.list.

I always run apt-setup and s/stable/testing/g on /etc/apt/sources.list

Then chroot act as almost fully functional debian system. It looks it
does disable some daemons.

Is there any documentation on how to proceed from here?

Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
Visit Debian reference http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/
There are 6 files: index.{en|fr|it}.html quick-reference.{en|fr|it}.txt
I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.