sound is really soft

I finally decided to give up trying to get my integrated intel
82801ba/bam ac'97 working, so I threw in a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
card I have.  After recompiling the kernel to add support for the
ensoniq card, I finally have sound.  But I have to turn my speakers
almost all the way up to hear it.  Is this normal?

I had this card in an older computer and it was the same way with that
one.  In Linux I need to turn the speakers way up and then when I go
back to Windows to play games, my ear drums nearly get blown out from
the noise.  Since I can't seem to remember to turn down the speakers
before rebooting, is there something I can do about this behavior?
--
Jason Stechschulte
jpstech@unoh.edu