Re: ftp and telnet between computers

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 12:37:53PM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
| I am working on a computer for friends and want to be able to login to it
| once they take it home so i can fix things at a distance if they have a
| problem. I haven't found a howto that covers this, but if there is one
| please steer me to it and I will read it.
| My questions involve:
| 1. differences between telnet and ftp servers--right now I have ftpd and
| telnetd-ssl installed on both boxes.

People have already suggested ssh.

| 2. ip address to use: I have a cable connection to the Internet so only
| have one ethernet ip listed but the other box is on a ppp connection and
| two ips are given when running ipconfig.

Install the 'ddt-client' package and register a name at www.ddts.net.
Then, whenever you connect to the internet, the client daemon will
notify the server of your IP address.  The server will then make a DNS
A record for your name that points to your address.  The next time you
connect (and likely get a different IP) the name will point to the new
IP.  For an example, check out my host name -- dman.ddts.net.

-D

--

The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.