Re: garbled chars in mutt

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:30:13PM +0800, Michael C. Alonzo wrote:
| i have mutt sort my mails by threads, the arrow (--->) now appears
| to be garbled(squares, unknown chars)... what should i do?

Some comments and observations :

    gnome-terminal (in fact, GTK+ itself (ver. 1.2)) doesn't support
        multi-byte characters (Unicode, UTF-8, etc)

    gnome-terminal (often times with my setup, at least) doesn't
        support the "line-drawing" characters in the upper range of
        ISO-8859-1 (or whatever (standard/common) charset it is)

    mutt can use the line drawing characters (nicer) or it can revert
        to similar characters from the US-ASCII charset

    linux console can display the line drawing characters quite well

If it looks find in linux console, then for use in gnome-terminal set
    ascii_chars
in your .muttrc.

-D

of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix