Re: From Testing back to Potato - or something!

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 05:04:10PM -0800, Vaughan, Curtis wrote:
> Read the bottom part to gain a little history as to why I did the following
> actions:
>
> Basically, what happened is I installed GAIM per the instructions at the
> bottom.  Afterwards, however, I couldn't find even any file or directory
> starting with gaim*.

If you installed from debian package, gaim should be in
 /usr/bin/gaim /usr/lib/gaim /usr/share/man/man1/gaim.1.gz

> So, I re-entered the ftp source for testing followed your instructions
> again.  It went through the same process all over again.  So, this time I
> didn't remove the ftp source from sources.list and went into dselect.  Of
> course, there were numerous apps listed that needed to be installed - or so
> it felt.  So, I let it go.

Did you get a complete installation? When I upgraded from potato to
testing, I had to rerun dselect Install about 20 times before all
packages were finally installed and configured.

> Now, although I am in the bash, I can't figure out for the life of me how to
> get KDE to start.

/usr/bin/kde2 is symbolic link to script that starts kde. If you are
using startx, making the last line in ~/.xsession
'exec kde2' should start KDE.

> Also, my PCMCIA card is down.  I can't figure out how to get it back up in
> order to even undo anything.

I don't have a PCMCIA card, so not sure about this.
What does /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/messages say about your PCMCIA
card when you boot?

> According to debian FAQs on testing, all testing apps are to be easily
> removable so you can return to your former set up.  But how do I do that?

Read man apt_preferences. You should be able to downgrade to potato by
setting pin priorities in /etc/apt/preferences. There has been a number
of discussions of pin priorities in this list previously. Check the
archives for these:
http://lists.debian.org/search.html