Re: ISDN & diald: router setup tale of woe

Richard Gaywood wrote (on 16 Feb 2002 at 18:37):

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 07:21:34PM +0100, Tony Crawford wrote:
> > Richard Gaywood wrote (on 16 Feb 2002 at 18:05):
> >
> > > Hi. I'm having massive grief configuring a standalone ISDN
> > > router and I could desperately use some pointers.
> >
> > Are you using pppd or ipppd?
>
> ipppd. Is this a bad idea?

Not at all. But it makes a difference in the names of the options
concerned ...

> > What version?
>
> Default potato -- i2.2 patchlevel 10anubis. Although man ipppd
> reports 2.2.9, oddly.

Not so odd, and fairly up to date. Individual package version
numbers are independent from the distribution release number.

> > Have you read in the man page about the "demand" and "persist"
> > options?
>
> man ipppd reports "persist" as obsolete in ipppd; it'd get me into
> trouble with my ISP anyway, although I can see what you're saying.
> It doesn't mention a demand option at all.

Yes, sorry, "demand" is a pppd option. What you want for ipppd is
"dialmode=auto" in /etc/isdn/device/ippp0. (Do you have lots of
nice explanatory comments in that file?) That should make the ISDN
line dial whenever packets are sent to the interface ippp0. In
order for packets to get sent there, you usually want to set a
default route--your handy-dandy config scripts may have done this
for you; verify using route -n.

Also, the isdnutils package sets up scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/
and ...ip-down.d. You can amend these scripts to activate firewall
rules whenever you ISDN line is up, or to correct the routing.
(There was a time when the default route had to be restored in ip-
down after every hangup.) These scripts are also full of helpful
comments.

Tony

--
-- Tony Crawford