Re: Mouse Jumps Sometimes

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 07:16:13PM -0800, David Frey wrote:
| On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 06:38:46PM -0800, ben wrote:
| > this has worked for some people. in gpm.conf, set the repeat type to raw, and
| > use /dev/gpmdata as the pointer device in your x config, and run gpm. if it
| > doesn't work, let me know and i can scratch your particular setup off the
| > list of situations it's good for.
|
| I put the repeat type as raw in my gpm.conf file and set the mouse
| device to /dev/gpmdata in the X config and the mouse wouldn't move at
| all. This is after I restarted X and gpm.

What device is gpm using and what protocol?

Many people seem to have a lot of trouble plugging gpm and X together,
but it is really simple!  Here's the trick :

    o   use the correct protocol in gpm ("imps2" for me)
    o   use the correct device in gpm ("/dev/input/mice" for me)
    o   use repeat_type 'raw' in gpm
    o   use the correct! protocol in X ("IMPS/2" for me, it must be
            the same protocol as gpm uses!)
    o   use '/dev/gpmdata' as the device in X

If you try and use /dev/psaux in _both_ gpm and X, you'll doubtless
get very erratic behavior as each program will only get _some_ of the
data the mouse is sending.

HTH,
-D

--