Re: ifup eth0 -- but no connection! argh...

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:02:29PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach will trillich <will@serensoft.com>:
> > 3c509 won't connect -- how do i poke and prod to
> > find out what's needed?

> have you configured routing correctly? is there a packet filter? do
> you have a default gateway? dns servers?

in order,

1) /etc/network/interfaces looks a lot like this:

	# The loopback interface
	iface lo inet loopback

	# small sub-net (mask 248)
	iface eth0 inet static
		address   192.168.7.84
		netmask   255.255.255.248
		network   192.168.7.80
		broadcast 192.168.7.87
		gateway   192.168.7.81

2) i've installed (apt-get) "ipmasq", plain vanilla out of the
box (no tinkering with potato's ipchains other than that) and

3) i've installed the 'task-dns' package, but as straight ip
addressing gets lost, i don't expect my dns to work properly
either.

on the other hand, my /etc/resolv.conf looks like:
	nameserver 127.0.0.1
	nameserver 63.64.9.19
	nameserver 63.64.9.11

but the externals won't be reached until a ping can bounce,
right?

> we need more info.

i thought that might be the case. i don't know enough to know
what direction to look in, so i didn't want to waste bandwidth
with random extranea. :)

> like the output of ifconfig, route.

dang. it's at work, and not connected to anything (hence the
trouble) so cut and paste ain't so easy at the moment. i'll do
that next workday if i get a chance edgewise.

> can you ping the NIC's own IP?

yes. 0% packet loss, at 0.1-0.2 ms each. <newbie>curious -- it
sounds like information can be gleaned from that, and i'm
curious: how?</newbie>

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #69 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: