does this LKM exist?

hi all,

I'm about to develop a loadable kernel module, but first I want to make
sure it doesn't already exist.  Anyone know of something that already does
this?

I want an LKM that will use kernel timers to periodically run a function
within the kernel.  The user specifies the function to the module at
compile time.  So when the module is loaded, the kernel will run the
function periodically, and when the module is not loaded, the kernel will
not run the function.

I know this sounds kind of boring, but it would be useful to me in my
present situation; I'm trying to collect periodic snapshots of kernel data
that don't seem to be available from any system calls.  It looks like I'm
going to have to alter the kernel itself or make a module, and the module
would be nicer since I don't really want to collect data constantly.  If I
can save other researchers the time it takes to learn how to make an LKM,
it might be worth me learning.

this post may betray the fact that I have a lot to learn.  thoughts?

-patrick