Re: Duplicating current debian install

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 06:03:20PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> François Chenais wrote on Fri Feb 15, 2002 um 05:42:06PM:
> >
> > 	i want to change my laptop disk from 5 Go to 20 Go
> > 	But I do not want reinstall my debian.

Normally one installs Debian just once and then simply clones the
existing system.  My own Debian system was first installed in 1996 and
has survived at least two computer changes and three or four hard disk
replacements.  In addition the very same system has been propagated to
five other computer systems so far. ;-)

> > 	Does a tar enougth ?

Not quite...

> Disk-upgrade-howto says, tar has a serious bug, however I do not know

Uh oh!

The problem with GNU tar is that it chokes on very long path names
(like 256 characters or whatever).  Unfortunately it still does. :-(

> what they are talking about. I suggest:
>
> tar -l -p -s --same-owner --numeric-owner / | tar -l -p -s --same-owner --numeric-owner -C /mount/newdisk

After having installed the new disk along to the old one, booting from
a rescue media (www.knopper.net/knoppix is my favourite) and properly
mounting both disk's partitions, i've used the classic

  cd /mnt/oldsystem && tar cpf - . | ( cd /mnt/newsystem && tar xpf -)

The tar problem has bitten me nonetheless. So i'd rather suggest using
the following:

   Install the new disk along to the old one, boot from a rescue
   media, then properly mount both disk's partitions and do

       cd /mnt/oldsystem && cp -a . /mnt/newsystem

Works perfectly and long path names seem to be no problem.

                             Good luck, P. *8^)
--
If not specific to HP please always reply to
"Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de>"