strange gnome/gdm/sawfish/xlockmore behavior

Hello All:

I have recently noticed a strange behavior on my testing boxes running
gnome and sawfish.

If I walk away from a logged-in session for a few hours, I sometimes
(about 50% of the time) return to find the login splash screen rather than
a locked display or just the display as I left it.

This doesn't seem to happen if I am at the computer and working.

I have checked the bug reports on sawfish, gdm, gnome-session and
xlockmore and there appears to be no mention of such a phenomenon.  Has
anyone else seen this behavior?  Any suggestions on what package to file a
bug report on or how to figure out which package might be responsible?

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics