Re: shutdown/halt as user

Now, would you like /sbin/halt to also show a "Are you really really sure (Abort/Ignore/Retry/Fail)?" dialog a few times and then count to
10 (so we could press ^C) before doing "telinit 0"?

If the sysadmin wants his users to go through this: yes, that's exactly what I want. If he wants his users not to have to do anything, pam can acomplish that, too.

And, of course, to "Require:" pam, newt, dialog, ncurses, libgtk, qt, kdelibs (for gnome & kde front-ends, resp., that someone may or may not want to
install on their box), and xlibs?

This is a non-issue. pam and many essential pam-enabled apps are already

part of the default install.