Re: mutt address list ?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:19:04AM +0300, Al Nikolov wrote:
| On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:28:40AM -0500, dman wrote:
| > (excerpt from 'man muttrc')
| Yes, i HAD read it. OK, i'll formalize my question:
| What is the difference between 'subscribed' (and also 'known') list
| and just 'known' list?

A "known" list is a list that you are not subscribed to.  If you (or
anyone) sends a messge to that list, you will not get a copy.  The
purpose of specifying these is so that your address can be added to
direct copy in addition to posting to the list.

A "subscribed" list is a list you are subscribed to.  If you (or
anyone) sends a message to the list, you will get a copy.  The purpose
is to _not_ put your address in Mail-Followup-To: so that you don't
get a duplicate copy since you'll get the one sent to the list

| Second, what is means: 'removes from known or subscribed'??

Mutt keeps a data structure for the "lists" addresses and the
"subscribe" addresses.  If you want to remove an address from either
of those data structures, use that command.

| May be i seem stupid, show me an example of use.

It doesn't really make sense to me to use them in a config file since
you can just remove the line where you add the address and get the
same effect.  I guess they exist so you can modify the state of a
running instance of mutt without needing to restart it to remove an
address from the data structure.  I can imagine it being useful only
in the case where you want to test out some variations on the address.

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.
        Proverbs 16:21