Re: mutt address list ?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:19:04AM +0300, Al Nikolov wrote:
| On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:28:40AM -0500, dman wrote:
|
| > (excerpt from 'man muttrc')
|
| Yes, i HAD read it. OK, i'll formalize my question:
|
| What is the difference between 'subscribed' (and also 'known') list
| and just 'known' list?

A "known" list is a list that you are not subscribed to.  If you (or
anyone) sends a messge to that list, you will not get a copy.  The
purpose of specifying these is so that your address can be added to
direct copy in addition to posting to the list.

A "subscribed" list is a list you are subscribed to.  If you (or
anyone) sends a message to the list, you will get a copy.  The purpose
is to _not_ put your address in Mail-Followup-To: so that you don't
get a duplicate copy since you'll get the one sent to the list
anyways.

| Second, what is means: 'removes from known or subscribed'??

Mutt keeps a data structure for the "lists" addresses and the
"subscribe" addresses.  If you want to remove an address from either
of those data structures, use that command.

| May be i seem stupid, show me an example of use.

It doesn't really make sense to me to use them in a config file since
you can just remove the line where you add the address and get the
same effect.  I guess they exist so you can modify the state of a
running instance of mutt without needing to restart it to remove an
address from the data structure.  I can imagine it being useful only
in the case where you want to test out some variations on the address.

-D

--

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.