Re: Need help setting up Xserver

Elizabeth Barham wrote:

> Rich Johnson <rjohnson@dogstar-interactive.com> writes:
>
> > Hey folks--
> >
> > I need some help setting up an Xserver on an older Mac.
> > The machine is a stock PowerMac 8500 with 172MB memory and has  a clean
> > woody install.
> >
> > Does anyone have an XFree86Config for this such a machine?
> > There's likely to be other stuff which needs tweaking as well.
> >
> > Thanks--
> > --rich
>
> Hi Rich,
>
> I run a powermac clone, the Motorola StarMax 3000/160. I installed
> potato but the kernel is 2.4.17 with mac_hid. Here is some of
> my XF86Config:

<snip>
Thanks  E.!  It had enough hints to get me to the grey screen with a working
cursor.
The biggest hints were:
    device driver "fbdev"
   mouse protocol "IMPS/2"
  setting color depth (16bpp for my VRAM)

But, I'm not out of the woods yet.  startx reports a number of errors:

Things seem to run fine until FBDev(0):  Backing store disabled.
Then
1)  there are 64
    ioctl  FBIOPUTCMAP:  Function not implemented
   messages
2) FBDev(0): DPMS enabled
3)  the dreaded
  PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
4)  several messages related to mouse startup
5)  final message is
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve these?

I should note that gdm had some installation problems.  I got a  dpkg error
but a subsequent dpkg --config -a appeared to complete successfully.

Thanks again,
--rich