Re: Netscape4, Mozilla - Now what is X? - How to stop X?

* Ibrahim Shaame (gtk_plus@yahoo.com) [020131 23:18]:
> --- "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > There's a short FAQ on GNU/Linux X display manager
> > disabling you may
> > find useful, at:
> >
> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> I think before sending him to FAQ you could have given
> him a quick answer and then refer him to the URL. The

Perhaps. Or maybe this just happens to be a question that Karsten is
asked frequently. So much so that he found it worthwhile to be able to
answer the question *really* well one time and point people to his
really nice explanation instead of giving six thousand quick
half-answers. Apart from that, let me slip in a bit of my own
pedagogical theory: giving someone a list of commands teaches a newbie
nothing. It doesn't help them understand why the system was behaving
differently than he wanted, and it doesn't help them diagnose or solve
the next problem. It's the same old "give a man a fish" story.

>  To answer the question:
>      I don't know how it is with debian, but in
> slackware you go and edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local,

This is not how it is in debian. Rather than answer the OP's question,
you confuse the issue further. He's not going to find an
/etc/rc.d/rc.local on his debian system.

Karsten's answer was far better than yours.

Also, to point out my own hipocrisy before anyone else does: another
thing that turns newbies off from joining our side is the number of
opinionated a-holes making such a big deal out of every little thing. I
don't mean to be so rude -- just wanted to stand up for someone who's
always been very helpful around here and doesn't need to be told how to
help.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/