Re: RAID

hi ya cameron

yes... the docs are contradictory...

- wheny ou say you were buikdng a new raid under deb...
	- which kernel ???  and which raid tools...

mdadd is the old stuff
	- and requires raid0145 patches to 2.2.x and 2.0.x kernels

raidhotadd/raidstart is the current raid tools
	and does NOT require any patches for 2.4.x kernels
	unless you start to play with ata-133 stuff

mdadd/mdcreate uses /etc/mdtab ... and
its  /etc/raidtab under raidtools...

> I can do a mkraid -f /etc/raid/raid5.conf successfully, although when I go

if that works....

what is the output of `cat /proc/mdstat`

if you are doing raid5 ???  it gets messy to do root raid5....

if you are doing mirroring ...across 2 drives... those are lot easier...

please post your /etc/raid5.conf file for 2.4.x kernels
	- also verify that the kernel has raid support enabled
	into the kernel.. not as modules

	- cant read data off the raid disks till you have the ability
	to read the raid disks.... ( need initrd.gz files )

thanx
alvin
http://www.1U-Raid5.net ....
( see the various interpretation of building software raid ... )