Re: Bandwidth limiting

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Guillaume wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My users are using all the outgoing bandwidth by downloading files thru
>FTP, port 20. This results in the eMail and Web being unusable, even if
>they really don't need much by themselves.
>
>I head BSD has this kind of bandwidth limiting possibilities.
>What about Deb ?

Linux has support for this. Its called QoS and/or traffic shaping. You'll
need to have a good read of the Advanced-Routing HOWTO (or
iproute2-HOWTO???). Get the latest, it still in development.

Sorry, I can't tell you anything more, I haven't had time to play with it
that much.

>I tried limiting the packet size, but it really doesn't do much.
>Hope there is a solution somewhere, besides shutting down the FTP.

Cameron Kerr
--
cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~cameronk/