Re: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address...

Xeno Campanoli wrote:

> Thomas Cook wrote:
> >
> > I fixed an identical problem recently by getting new RAM - my old stuff
> > had gone bad.
> >
> > apt-get install memtest86
>
> I'm using potato, and I can't do the above command successfully.  There
> is something called hwtools, but the only binary looks like it's for MS:
>
> inneal:~# cksum /usr/lib/hwtools/memtest86.bin
> 485645255 59156 /usr/lib/hwtools/memtest86.bin

This is indeed the binary you are looking for, but it is not M$.  You
need to install it as a kernel.  If use LILO, then add this to your
lilo.conf file:

image=/usr/lib/hwtools/memtest86.bin
	label=memory checker

and run lilo (as root).

If you use GRUB, you need to add this to your menu.list file:

title Memory Checker
root = (hdX,Y)
kernel = /usr/lib/hwtools/memtest86.bin

If /usr/lib/hwtools is on /dev/hda3 then X=0 (a=0, b=1, c=2...) and Y=2
(the partition number minus 1).

Then reboot and type "memory checker" at the LILO prompt or select
"Memory Checker" from the GRUB menu, whichever is appropriate.  The
memory checker will start.  When it finishes (or you get sick of it and
exit it) it reboots your machine.

Regards
Tom