Re: date reset on a /dev/ file

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, dman wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 04:38:10PM -0800, ben wrote:
> | On Sunday 10 February 2002 03:34 pm, ben wrote:
> | > one if my /dev/ files has a mysterious date of 0 april 2001. has anyone had
> | > this before. can i/should i manually reset that, and, if so, how is it
> | > done?
> |
> | to follow up on that problem, cat /dev/<file> returns 'no such device' even
> | though ls -al shows that it's there.
>
> The existence of the inode on the disk is irrelevant to anything.

Ha?  If there exists an inode on your disk it _has to_ belong to
something (at least lost+found).  This is called consistency.

> This is one of the reasons for 'devfs'.  I just looked at one of the

What do you mean with 'devfs'?  A filesystem device?  It's enough to me to
know, that's everything is a file (an object I can read from or write to).

> files in my /dev and it has a date of Dec 31, 1969.  (the epoch)  I'm
> using devfs, though.

"the epoch" starts at Jan. 1, 1970, 00:00 GMT as an unsigned int, so Dec
31, 1969 simply doesn't exist:)  Do you have problems with some libs?  Or
do you just have changed the timezone?

Bringing a sense of time to a computer isn't trivial, although they need
it.  They just can't work with discontinuities in time ...

Since time is relative as everyone knows, this is easy to touch(1):

`touch -t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.ss] path/to/file'

to bring something up-to-date

--gk