Strange behavior of the S3 XServer in 2.2r5

greetings,

ehm, my situtation:

I'm using a Debian 2.2.r5 to connect to a server via xdm. I've installed and
configured an S3 X Server an written an simple bash script, executing X
-query 192.168.1.46 -ac -bpp 16 &. When I started the script from the
console, erverything worked. Afterthat I linked it to the second runlevel -
as S99xdmclient- and after a reboot, my keyboard was dead. I wasn't able to
login, switch to a console or even switch the numlock on or off.

I tried nearly the same installation on another computer - I've to use Ati
Mach64 XServer instead - and everything worked fine there.

Did you have any explanations?

Keep smiling
yanosz