Re: * Re: ADSL with woody or what is this newbie doing completly wrong?

On 10 Feb 2002 10:48:51 -0200
Michel Loos <loos@qt1.iq.usp.br> wrote:
> is your /etc/network/interfaces correctly configured ?
>
> there should be
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet ppp
>   provider dsl-provider

I've attached my /etc/network/interfaces.

The pppoe package in Debian is the Roaring Penguin PPPoE drivers, and
they say that the ethernet interface connected to the DSL modem should
be "up, but with no IP address". You can do this by running 'ifconfig
eth0 0.0.0.0 up', assuming eth0 is the interface attached to the DSL
modem.

The configuration I have in /etc/network/interfaces has worked for
years, and is technically "right". ie: ppp0 is the interface we care
about, not eth0(or whatever is connected to your DSL modem), and it
makes sure the underlying interface is in the appropriate state before
trying to start the PPPoE drivers.

--
 .--=====-=-=====-=========----------=====-----------=-=-----=.
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth1
iface lo inet loopback