cdrecord & xcdroast

I just fired up my cd writer after a year or so, and
some issues came up.

1. xcdroast now set suid, making gtk refuse to start as user

What happened to setting up as root and running later as non-root?
Am I forgetting something?

Is there a better program for creating data cd's? I made some
audio cds with gcdmaster and, before, cdrdao, but they need ,toc
files. Only for audio, right?

2. cd writing failed with an error about being unable to do something with
/dev/zero

Google search fixed this. I'm running kernel 2.2.14 and aparently
the latest cdrecord (used by xcdroast) only works with 2,4 kernels

I downgraded cdrecord and set it to hold in dselect.

3. apt now complains about broken dependencies and wants to force
an upgrade of cdrecord

Should I just downgrade xcdroast? Or is there another way around this?
Should I complain to the package maintainer about the kernel mismatch?

Thanks,
Bob