Re: Newbie having trouble with installation

Ed Raskay wrote:

Package: CD
Version: 2.2r4
flavor:  vanilla
architecture:  i386
model:   200mhz pentium-mmx pc - put together with a lot of stuff laying
around
memory:  50M
scsi:    nope
cd-rom:  ATAPI
Bare system

Been trying (off and on) for about a month to get this installed.
First problem
Tried to install off the CD.  Right after the installaion would start i got
message saying 'could not uncompress' or 'No setup signature found' or or
'crc.error' or a host of other messages.

This sounds like a hardware error; either a flakey CD-ROM drive, or a burned CD in an older CD-ROM drive that prefers pressed rather than burned disks, or a timing problem in the IDE-to-rest-of-system chain, etc. Can this setup boot off a bootable Win98/Me/2K/WP CD?

SOmeone suggested that even though the BIOS says I can boot off a CD (Award
Bios), I shoud try loading a driver first.  I loaded DOS and installed a
driver for the CDRom.  This appeared to work.  I would go into DOS and run
Boot.bat from the Install dir on the CD.
Second problem
Everything looked great (I even removed the DOS during partitioning),

Hmmm. Sounds like maybe the hardware is okay. Interesting that you couldn't boot off the Debian CD. Again, is that CD pressed (purchased from a "big" house) or burned (like, using your CD burner)?

until
i tried to reboot.  The system keeps rebooting.  LAst msg I can make out is
'Warning - Unable to open an initial console' then  another line I can't
make out then it reboots.  I tried using the rescue, but I keep getting the
same results as I did before I loaded the DOS - compressing issues,
crc.error, etc.

What motherboard/chipset do you have? This sounds like maybe you've got some chipset that has problems with the linux kernel, in which case you'll need to see if there's a kernel variant that addresses this issue.

If you've overclocked the CPU or set any CMOS parameters away from the defaults (like timing, etc), you might try setting those back to defaults.

Kent