PPP and Linux 2.4.9

Hi there,

I have been trying to get a modem working on Linux
2.4.9. I am able to get it all working on a machine
running 2.2.15, but for some reason it won't work on
the newer version of Linux.

I have tried with the stable version of ppp and the
newer versions (stable and testing, 2.4.1).

The interface seems to come up, and I can connect to
my ISP. The local and remote IPs seem to be
configured, and the correct entries are added to
resolve.conf and to the routing table.

However, I can't ping either the remote IP, the local
ppp0 interface or anything else.

Has anyone come across anything similar? Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark