Re: 2.4.17 ?

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 08:51:03PM -0800, Bruce Burhans wrote:
|     Okay. I have 2.2r5 coming but have a USB keyboard too. So where can
| I find the 2.4.17 Kernel? Searched
| ftp://ftp.debian.org and ftp://ftp.us.debian.org from top to bottom.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.17-386.html

(there's a binary package optimized for just about each architecture)

Put the following into /etc/modules for the pre-packaged 2.4 kernels :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
apm
ide-cd
ide-floppy
parport
parport_pc
lp
usb
evdev
mousedev
keybdev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also add one of "usb-uhci", "usb-ohci" or "uhci" depending on your
hardware.  I've got one machine using "usb-uhci" (an Intel system) and
one using "usb-ohci" (an AMD system).

| Can I just substitute the new Kernel for the old one during
| installation?

Not that I am aware of, unless you make your own boot-floppies.  I
doubt anyone wants to go there unless they know what they're doing and
have a spare machine in case they make a mistake somehow.

| If my experience follows Ray's, I won't have the use of my kb after
| the bootprompt phase.
|     Jeesh!

Yeah, that's the problem with a "stable" release that is called stable
because it is so old that all the problems are already well-known.
Heh.  I use a woody/sid mixture myself so that I get recent software.
I've had far fewer problems with this than with using RH 7.0!  (hint
to those in charge: make releases a little less cathedral-like, pretty
please)

Best suggestion I can give you is to

    a)  get a ps/2 capable keyboard (some USB keyboards have adapters
        for PS/2 or you can grab a $10 keyboard (with a $10 rebate!)
        from CompUSA or OfficeMax or the like)

    b)  put the hard disk in a different machine (with a ps/2
        keyboard) and install.  better get the USB part right the
        first time, or take the disk back to the other machine ;-) (or
        just move the keyboard, it's probably easier)

Once you have a bootable system (ie "base install"), switch your
sources.list to refer to woody and do a dist-upgrade using apt.  Also
'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.17-386' (or whichever cpu opts you
want) and update your bootloader to boot it.

Sooner or later add sid to your sources.list and make a preferences
file that makes woody preferred.

Info on how to do these are available in the list archives, Osamu
Aoki's web page, and surely other parts of the 'net.  Don't hesitate
to ask if you have a specific question regarding any of this!

HTH,
-D

--

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,