Re: Perl and CPAN

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:46:47AM +0100, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 00:52:17 +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 08:33:39AM -0500, Chris Hilts wrote:
> > > The installation instructions of a piece of software I'm considering
> > > asks me to fetch several (ok, a lot of) modules from CPAN.  Since this
> > > will be adding software to my Debian system, is this safe?  Is there a
> > > Debianized way to do this?
> >
> > dh-make-perl
> >
> > It's exactly what you're looking for. :-)
>
> I hope its okay to add a question in this place, it seems related.
> I use Potato, so the package mentioned is not available. Trying to
> install SpamAssassin I need to get some CPAN modules. The problem with:
>
>   perl -MCPAN -e shell (from the SpamAssassin instructions)
>
> is that the installation is unable to access external files from the
> net. It goes out and tries ncftp, ftp and lynx which all return errors
> of some sort. Funny thing is that my net configuration seems allright,
> because I could manually get 'MIRRORED.BY' with those programs on the
> same machine. Unfortunately the same error came back when getting the
> actual program.

Are you behind a firewall? If so, does it require you to use passive mode ftp?

I've had a lot of proble,s with this myself. I have machines at home, behind an
OpenBSD NAT machine, and machines at work behind a SOCKS proxy. In both locations,
I can manualy get files via ftp (passive mode, or with runsocks) just fine.
I'v also got apt-get set up to be able to update my machiens, and this works
OK. However CPAN jsut does ont work well.

I'm certain, that in my case, the problem is not understanding how to answer
the questiosn that the CPAN module asks at inatallation time corectly.

Could some kind soul hive me some advice on this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin