Re: the following packages have been kept back?

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 07:59:06AM -0500, Bill Benedetto wrote:

>   Rachel> I tried to do apt-get upgrade of my Woody system today
>   Rachel> and got the following message:
>   Rachel>
>   Rachel> The following packages have been kept back:
>   Rachel> base-config console-data kate kchart kdebase
>   Rachel> kdebase-libs kdm kfocus kivio kmid koffice-libs
>   Rachel> konqueror konsole koshell kscd kspread jugar kword
>   Rachel> libkonq3
>   Rachel>
>   Rachel> from searching the archives i figure this has to do
>   Rachel> with unmet dependences but I'm not sure how to fix it
>   Rachel> as I'd like these packages to upgrade.

> "apt-get dist-upgrade" should do the trick.

That'll work if the problem is a new package that's been
created, and is depeneded on by those files.

If you apt-get install one of the package, it should either
also install the appropriate new package, or complain that
the version of a package being depended on is not available.

(eg gcc-3.0 in sid right now depends on a version of binutils
that isn't available yet:

Keitarou:~# apt-get -u dist-upgrade
The following packages have been kept back
  gcc-3.0

Keitarou:~# apt-get install gcc-3.0
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  gcc-3.0: Depends: binutils (>= 2.11.92.0.12.3-6) but
	2.11.92.0.12.3-5 is to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.