Re: true type fonts in X 4.x ?

Thanks very much Eric, your changes made the difference.  xfontsel now
works and shows the truetype fonts correctly.  I would have never
figured out that the link was necessary.

Here's a recap to summarize the changes.  This is for XFree 4.x :

1.  In your XF86Config (or XF86Config-4) file :

    In section Modules, add

      Load "freetype"

    Add the directory where your truetype fonts are located :

      /usr/share/fonts/truetype

    to the fontpath.

2.  In directory /usr/share/fonts/truetype, run

       ttfmkfdir -o fonts.dir

    create the apropriate link

       ln -s fonts.dir fonts.scale

3. Don't forget to actually have truetype fonts in the
   /usr/share/fonts/truetype directory :-)